Simplicity

6/24/2011

Lately my husband and I have been talking about living more intentionally and simply. What does this mean exactly? Well we're trying to figure that out. We sometimes use the term "Back to Basics" and if said around other people, I think it makes them nervous.
When we moved into this house 6 months ago my husband (Teddy) built us 5 raised garden beds. We ordered our heirloom seeds from Baker Creek in Mansfield, MO and started them near a sunny window in our kitchen. We planted potatoes, tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, onions, lettuce, pumpkins and 2 types of watermelons. The seeds including shipping were around $30. Plus the dirt and time and nurture. In the last two weeks we have already picked a bucketful of produce from our very own garden. I can't even begin to tell you how satisfying that is. A few evenings we have had an entire meal from the garden and pork that we had raised. Once in awhile we are lucky enough to get local organic eggs too. My husband REALLY wants us to have our own chickens, but I'm not sure I'm quite ready for that yet.
Some other changes we have made are chosing not to have cable/sattelite. We only do netflix and have Internet. When we tell people this, they instantly get a puzzled look on their faces as if they can't possibly imagine not having "TV". My parents and grandparents just can't imagine how me manage without watching the news. We somehow make it just fine! We find more time to read or journal, work in the garden or our house and the many projects. Somedays I really want to veg in front of the tv and watch trashy shows on Bravo( I love the Real Housewives!), but in the end I'm better off without it. Really.
I don't think we will make it to the point of making our clothes or being able to produce all our own food, but we have  made our own butter before, and various jams and we definitely love the art of bread baking. Does anything make your kitchen smell better than bread baking??



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! :)

 
site design by designer blogs