Feed My Family Friday- The First and Last

7/27/2012

Good Morning!
How is your Friday so far?

So yesterday I decided that I was finally going to join :

Farmgirl Paints

She does a Friday post called Feed Your Family.

So I cooked up some yummy things, took pictures and then went to her blog to link up.
But there was nothing for today????? 
I read back some older posts and she is done with the Feed My Family series!
Haha!
Story of my life !!
None the less, I made some food and I'm going to share the recipes with you, ok?
I didn't think you would mind! :)


First I started a basic bread dough recipe. You can find one anywhere! This one came from Jenna Woginrich's book Made From Scratch . It's a GREAT read and will totally bring out the inner farm/country desires in you.
I still have a long way to go on my bread making skills.
Her recipe makes 2 loaves. In this case I made one loaf and a batch of dinner rolls. I also used half whole wheat flour and half regular.
It wasn't my favorite batch. Something was off.
Not Jenna's fault. Purely mine:)

So on to the Breakfast Casserole:

I start by browning my sausage. One pound.


While the sausage is browning, I chopped up some onions and bell peppers from the garden. 2 of each (they were on the small side)
Then added to the mix.


{ I forgot how lame my pics without the filters of Instagram!}


Before I add in the sausage, peppers, onion mix, I ripped up the equivalent of 5 slices of cheesy bread that I left over from the Farmer's Market last week.
I layered it evenly over the bottom of the greased baking dish.
Then I added the sausage mixture and spread it evenly.
I also found some mushrooms in the fridge that needed to be used, so I added those too.
The more yummy ingredients the better!

Next I got out 8 (small) farm fresh eggs and put them into a bowl. I added about 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of milk. If you have cream or half and half that's even better. Skim milk need not apply, ok? I also added 3 big spoonfuls of sour cream. Once again, it was in the fridge and needed to be used.
I whisked this all together, salt and peppered it and a  hint of garlic.
I didn't season this too much because the sausage has so much seasoning in it already. But you can season your heart out if you want to :)

Pour egg/milk/sour cream mixture over the sausage and bread already in the pan. Smooth and distribute evenly.

Then I added cheese.
We are BIG fans of cheesy goodness at this house.
Yes sir!
I happened to have half a bag of swiss and half a bag of cheddar.
So I used up both.
I suppose this could be called, use up what's in your fridge breakfast casserole! Ha!
You can use as much or as little cheese as you like and any flavor will do.
We give all cheese an equal opportunity around here.

At this point, some recipes would tell you to let it soak over night in the fridge or something to that effect.
The hubby doesn't like the texture of that concoction. I don't mind, but he does.

So, I baked it right away.
Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
And here it is!



Let is cool for at least 10 minutes, if you want to burn your tongue like I did, cut a piece right away.
I really don't advise that though.
I ate mine for lunch yesterday paired with a few slices of garden fresh tomatoes.

I didn't get pictures of many of the steps, I'll have to work on that.

Also, sometimes I don't add bread.
Most of the time I add, canned or already baked/boiled potatoes cut into chunks. 
This dish is so versatile and good for any meal in my book.


Since I had put up so many peaches earlier in the week, I felt a peach cobbler was DEFINITELY in order.
I never got to the made from scratch pie crust. But I will, I promise!

Easy Cobbler Recipe:

2 cups milk
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 sticks of butter

4 or 5 peaches or whatever fruit you have on hand. Should be about 2-3 cups worth.

Grease a 9x13 baking dish ( I think a glass dish works best.) And we typically use butter for the greasing.
Not the spray, not margarine, definitely not a soy "butter".
Live it up, use butter. 

Melt the butter, add your ingredients, mix with a whisk.
Cut up your fruit of choice. I should have used more fruit is what the hubby told me later. He was right.
Still good though!
Layer fruit in baking dish, then pour wet mixture over it.
I sprinkled a little cinnamon on top, but plain sugar is good too.
Baked at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour. Just keep checking until your knife comes out clean.

If you don't want to make big batch, I think a smaller batch actually bakes up better.
Just cut all the ingredients in half. Voila!
When I knew the hubby was almost home, I put on a fresh pot of coffee :)
He liked it!
Some of the girls on Instgram said " Best Wife Award" or "Aww, what a great wife you are!"
Well today, I sent my hubby to work with a pair of dirty jeans because they were hiding underneath the other dirty clothes and I didn't get to wash them : /
Woops!

And now I'm off to scrub the bathtub!
I hope you enjoy these recipes!
Have you cooked up anything good lately?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipes. I love both these dishes...too fuuny about the linky party. I may not be done forever...just needed a break. Have a great weekend girlie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear rachel...
    i thought i already commented on this???
    anywho...please update us on your life. :)
    i need to see pics of your new work place and all of this kombucha drinking goodness!
    love you!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! :)

 
site design by designer blogs