Random Nothingness Part 2

8/24/2011

Yesterday's blog post was labeled "Random Nothingness". There really wasn't an intentional reason for the title, just that when I started typing, I wasn't sure where I was going with the post. Kind of like when you are driving somewhere and you get lost in a thought or daydream and you end up at your destination thinking" how in the world did I make it here safely"?

Somehow my post ended up meaning something. And that is exactly how God works. He let's the random junk in your head turn into somewhat meaningful words. Ok, sometimes. Stay with me here.

Lately I have been making time for my bible. Intentional quiet time. It's a must. Not something I have been good at, but I'm working on it. In case you had the illusion that I was perfect, I am so totally a constant work in progress. There is nothing perfect about me. Except for maybe my Amish meatloaf and even that is a borrowed recipe.
 Back to the Bible- I've been spending some time in Ephesians. It's a great guiding chapter if you are a new Bible owner of even a fresh out of sin Christian or really for anyone needing a reminder how to live. So much is to be learned from this chapter. 

Ephesians 4:29
Do not let unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

This verse is meant for me. You see there is this ugly thing called GOSSIP. It should be a four letter word. It starts with a small comment here, a snide look there and next thing you know it's blown up. It's so easy to do, why is it like that with sin? Easy to crawl into the deep end, but not so easy to get out. Once those words have passed your lips, you can't take them back. Even if the person or situation you are gossiping about never hears them, it's still out there. Kind of like those pics from college with the too short, I need to cover up this bad perm haircut, that somebody thought would be cute to post on facebook. Always there. (Please don't go looking for them!)

We can all remember the saying "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all".

Ephesians Chapter 5 starts out by telling us to  be imitators of God, because we are dearly beloved children. Live a life of love just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us.
Talk about a tall order.
I can barely give up coffee, I'm not strong enough and I love it too much. Do I love God that much? Do I spend as much time in my bible as I do on the internet or watching Netflix? Is there something standing in your way?
I had a heart to heart with God this week. It sounded like a break up conversation. You know the "it's not You, it's me" talk. Except I wasn't breaking up with Him. No, no. I was telling Him that it's me, the problem is me. I put other un-important things in front of my time with Him. My focus hasn't been clear and I couldn't seem to get my enging started. It just sat in a comfortable idle position. Not moving anywhere. But one day I decided to make it happen. Again. It probably won't be the last funk I'm in either. Life is crazy like that.

It recently occurred to me that there are some people in my life that may be nervous or unsure about this "Christian lifestyle". And then I wondered if I have hindered them or helped them on that journey? I'm afraid that my words or actions or lifestyle hasn't always been encouraging. And I'm not too proud to admit that. If you are out there reading this and you can think of a time when I acted in a way I shouldn't, please forgive me. I really mean that. Remember, we're a work in progress and that doesn't mean that while things are in progress we are beyond doing or saying something we shouldn't. The thing about being a Christian is that people are always watching and listening. That shouldn't scare us, but be a motivator. It's like telling the truth, if you stick to the real story, you never have to remember a lie which often snowballs into many more lies. I've been there too. I want to make sure that my lifestyle reflects Christ's love for me. I want to get it right.

Ephesians 5:15,16
"Be very careful then how you live- not as unwise, but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil."

Just wanted to share some things on my heart and mind. Hope you are having a blessed day. Thank you for reading my blog!

Side note: Charlie ate 2 buttons off of my pajamas this morning. Still haven't seen them...... Oh dear.

Love, The Faithful City Mouse

1 comment:

I love hearing from you! :)

 
site design by designer blogs